Thursday, May 04, 2006

Finally...a plumbing problem

It's been awhile, but I new it was due...
1262 informed me that the bathroom faucets and shower were very slow running so I went in to check it out. The faucet aerator was full of rocks so I cleaned it out. The shower had other problems besides being slow. Both packing nuts were loose causing water to run down from the handles, creating a stream of rust on the tile in the process. I got the cold handle off and tightened the packing nut but the other two handles will have to be drilled out because the screws are rusted too badly to unscrew. When I tried to put the cold handle back it wouldn't hold the stem, I guess I must have accidently stipped the threads of the handle, so I stuck a Vise-Grip on the stem so the tenant would be able to temporarilly take a shower. Today I will get new handles, but first I'll have to remove at least one stem to take it to the hardware store to find the correct handles. Taking in a stripped old handle to match will not work.
The problem with the slow running shower, I concluded, was the fault of the shower massage unit that the tenant had installed. I unscrewed the handle and the water came out very strong. Not immediately finding a way to clean out the shower head and not wanting to damage it, I left it for the tenant to try. Maybe today I will be able to figure it out.

Here's the way it looked before...


I started trying to remove the rusted handle with a drill. When that didn't work I used a hacksaw which didn't work either. I ended up with a sharper drill bit which did the job.
I should have taken a photo of that, it was a real mess too.

Here's the after...

Crown City Hardware was surprised that the stem that I brought in fit their sample shank but did not fit the new handles they had. It's a good thing anyway because I forgot to bring my wallet and had no I.D., money, or credit cards with me. The next place I went was True Value Hardware where they concluded I had cheap import valves and sold me two new
Price Pfister ones to replace them and also two new handles. The prices here were about half of what they were at Crown City...I'll make a note to remember that the next time.


I have to finish by 1 p.m. because there is a house we want to look at and maybe purchase. Here's a picture...

No comments: